Tuesday 18 May 2010

Customer Review: Knife, by RJ Anderson



Knife by RJ ANDERSON



I'll admit it, I'm a Librarian's daughter and I always judge a book by it's cover, so when I saw the fairy floating on the front of Knife, I wasn't that interested. But I picked it up and read the back and thought I'd spend on the chance of getting a few nights out of it. I'll cop to being wrong this time on prejudging it but I'll still do it, and anyone tries to stop me - I'll set my parents on you - they're Librarians, so they can take you...

So Knife is not really a fairy story although it does have fairies, and it isn't really a love story although it does have romance and it isn't really a fantasy story although it does have magic and it isn't really an adventure story although it does have epic quests and fights and good versus evil. As is the nature of stories of this kind that take in so many genres, it has something for you no matter what kind of book you like. If you like love stories, then that's the kind of story you will read in this book, if you like magic then the story will be about that, if you like adventure then the journeys and travel and quest aspect will be your thing.

For me the best part was how much I enjoyed this book that I picked up out of boredom and how suprised I was to accidentally find such an excellent read by pure chance. See magic and fate lovers, perhaps I was meant to.

The book took in love and unrequited love, I mean, she's a fairy, he's a boy and a crippled boy at that which brings it's own challenges and one of my favourite parts was how love did conquer all, he didn't have to be healed for them to maybe end up together, she did have to change but fundamentally as opposed to personally. Love can conquer but it didn't change them, not the people or fairy that they were at least. It has action, and speeding cars, and attempted suicide and imprisonment and tantrums and secrets and lies and all the while a really, really strong story to push you to the next page and then the next. I would highly recommend this to anyone, I've recommended it to older and younger friends and all have enjoyed it. I won't say if you love Twilight or Harry Potter or Skullduggery Pleasant read this because I could as easily say if you like Nora Roberts or Jodi Picoult or Nicholas Sparks, read this. I will say if you like those books, try this as it has elements of all of them..

The best news, you don't have to wait like I did as RJ Anderson has already published a sequel so "Rebel" is only waiting to be picked up next. The third one? Well sorry, it is coming and there is only so much a non-magic human can do....

Maeve works for the local County Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment