Thursday 4 April 2019

Review: The Princess and the Fangirl

The Princess and the Fangirl The Princess and the Fangirl by Ashley Poston
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow, the need for fandom knowledge is strong with this one! I know that that's the whole point of this series, but I worry that it will turn away casual readers who may not be too sure what a kamahameha is. However, it shouldn't, as this is a sweet retelling of The Prince and the Pauper dressed up in cosplay. I loved the little references ... the ones I got, anyway, I'm sure I missed some ... and it was nice to return to the world of Starfield. (It did irritate me a little that absolutely everyone curses in Starfield's vernacular. How about a frack or a shazbot thrown in there for variety?)

A brilliant read I will definitely be recommending, and I hope there's plenty more to come in this series.


Receiving an ARC did not affect my review in any way.


I am the best parts of her, and part of the Amaras I pass in the crowd - the gender-bent one across the aisle, the ten-year-old one with glitter in her hair, the Black Nebula Federation Princess Amara come back from the grave. I'm a part of every Amara at the con, every Amara on the screen - just as the first Amara is a part of me.
And we don't die quietly.
There are stories that you tell and stories that tell things to you; stories that win awards and stories that win hearts. Sometimes the stories you want aren't the stories you need, and the ones you need are the ones you never thought you'd like.
Perhaps this is one of those stories.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment