Saturday 3 November 2018

Review: Through the Water Curtain and other Tales from Around the World

Through the Water Curtain and other Tales from Around the World Through the Water Curtain and other Tales from Around the World by Cornelia Funke
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read a lot of folk and fairy tales. I know a lot of them. This is a fantastic collection of lesser known folk tales. I knew (versions of) three of these, but they were all very enjoyable. Cornelia Funke's musing on each title are thought provoking, but not too deep for young children. The compact size and lovely illustrations will make it a great gift this Christmas. A fantastic addition to Pushkin's collection.


Back home the old father sat in the choom with his youngest daughter, waiting in vain for the storm to abate. But the blizzard redoubled its force, and it seemed the camp would be blown away at any minute.

"My daughters did not heed my words," the old man reflected, sadly. "They have angered Kotura even more. Go to him, my last daughter, though it breaks my heart to part with you; but you alone can save our clan from certain doom."

Youngest daughter left the camp, turned her face into the north wind and pushed the sled before her.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment