Tuesday 29 January 2019

Review: A Curse So Dark and Lonely

A Curse So Dark and Lonely A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Beauty and the Beast is intrinsically a difficult story. At its core, no matter how it's dressed up, it's about a monster forcing a young girl to live with him. That's partly why I love the retellings; I love seeing the ways different authors come up with to get around that problem. This version is now my favourite. Brigid has dealt perfectly with all the worst parts of the original story and left a beautiful fantasy in its place.

I'm very much looking forward to reading the follow up; although this could stand alone, there are strands left untouched and I'd love to read more. Maybe even more than one, Brigid? :D

(There's one spot where a single paragraph of Harper's POV sits in the middle of Rhen's section, which did throw me a little.)



Receiving an ARC did not affect my review in any way.



"Your Highness, if I may ask..."

Rhen finally looks away. "You may."

"Do you fear providing enchanted food to your people?"

"I fear not feeding them more."

My heart flutters, just the tiniest bit, and I have to remind myself that he does nothing without intention, that all of this is part of a plan. A means to an end. A good end, that will help his people, but a calculated effect nonetheless. He's playing a role. Just like I am.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment