Tuesday 26 March 2019

Review: The Secret Runners of New York

The Secret Runners of New York The Secret Runners of New York by Matthew Reilly
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a fantastic read. I read it in one go, I really wanted to find out what would happen. It's time travel that makes sense, which is rare in stories that try to explain things. He very effectively conveys the creepiness of an abandonded New York.

(The pedant in me is forced to point out that the girls can't be using gasoline in the twenty two years ahead future; gas is absolutely worhtless after, at the very best, five years.)

I did have a problem with the characters, though; with two exceptions, the rich kids were all horrible, sociopathic or stupid. I'm not sayng rich people can't have those problems, anyone can, but everyone in the group? Without anyone outside it seeming to know, apart from the professionals - who don't seem to be doing much about it? One of the exceptions outright stated it was because they were rich, so it comes off as more of a rant against rich people than anything else.

But the story itself was amazing, and really cleverly done. I'd definitely read more from this author or in this series if there were any. And I hope there are, because he left some threads dangling!


Receiving an ARC did not affect my review in any way.


"What do you mean, freaky?" Red asked.

Bo said, "What I mean is, it's still New York up there: the same Central Park, all the same buildings,
but it's all been trashed and abandoned. The windows on all the skyscrapers are smashed; that Swedish Cottage has fallen apart. No power, no lights and no people-or at least, no-one besides our friend in the hoodie. It's like...anotherNew York...not ours. A parallel New York of some kind."

Red blinked. "A kind of parallel New York?"

At that moment, Misty stepped up to him, grabbed his left arm and with one quick movement, drew a single vertical mark on his inner wrist with a black permanent marker.

"Welcome to the club, Red. You just became a member of The Secret Runners of New York."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment