Saturday 15 June 2019

Review: Collision

Collision Collision by Victor Dixen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Leonor and the other colonists have new difficulties to overcome in this final part of the trilogy. As personality conflicts among the team and policital troubles on Earth multiply, they have to use what little power they have to keep themselves alive and healthy.


First, the bad. The translation problems have continued into this one. Although the story is very readable, it's full of flowery phrases and people telling each other things they already know. For instance, the head of Eden foods is asked "Miss Delville, James has just woken from his nap, and hes calling for you. Shall I bring him to you, or are you too busy following the progress of Logan, the new Eden foods-sponsored candidate?" Again, the person being addressed is the head of Eden foods. She knows exactly who Logan is, as does the person addressing her. The only function of that line of dialogue is to tell us who Logan is, and since he never appears or is mentioned again after that line it's a little pointless.

However, apart from that, this is a good read, if a little draggy in spots. I didn't predict most of the twists and I was excited to know what would happen next. As another reviewer has said, it doesn't exactly tie everything up in a neat bow, but we know enough to guess how things will turn out.

I've enjoyed this trilogy immensely and I hope that more of Victor's books will be translated.

I received a copy of this book and chose to write an honest review.


"If you kill him out of selfishness, just to calm your anger, you'll also be killing the one thing we have left," I say, my voice hoarse, struggling to keep my emotion in check. "You'll shatter that one precious thing Marcus himself almost managed to destroy; us."

I catch my breath at that word;
us.

I summon all my strength, all my being, to support me, and I repeat it in a voice that is suddenly much more certain.

"
Us. Our cohesion. Our mutual trust. What has bound us to one another since the very beginning. What will maybe allow us to make it through this one day. We can't let Marcus's treachery divide us; just the opposite, we need to make it bind us even tighter together. If he has to die, it's up to the gorup to decide. And if the group decides he must, then I'll be the one to execute him. I swear it."

Alexei glances around, at the nine other pioneers frozen in front of Marcus; then, slowly, he puts his boot back down on the floor and moves a few steps away.

"We are going to judge Marcus," I say finally, a lump in my throut, without so much as a glance at the human wreck slumped on the floor. "That's the only way we can survive what he's done to us. But not right away. We need to concentrate on the storm now, and on the space elevator, and on the fact that we're about to go back on the air. We'll shut the accused in the seventh habitat, we'll return to the Garden and later we'll organise his trial."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment