Friday 12 July 2019

Review: The Lost Tide Warriors

The Lost Tide Warriors The Lost Tide Warriors by Catherine Doyle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The second in the series sees Fionn, along with friends and enemies old and new, battling against Soulseekers determined to revive Morrigan.


First of all, this isn't the book to start with. Although things are explained reasonably well as you go along, you'll still likely be confused for quite a portion of it.

However, if you've read the first one, this is a fantastic follow up, expanding the mythology and keeping the same wonderful tone. I cried - quite a bit - and read as fast as I can. I still love the magic system, I've still never seen anything like it, and I'm very excited to read the third one to find out what happens next.


I received an ARC and chose to write an honest review.

(This isn't the section I wanted to copy, but my favourite one made me cry and I couldn't see the words. This one shows the use of language very well.)

The  candle  in  Sam’s  fist  was  shaking  violently.  “I  regret  this  decision,” he  called  over  his  shoulder,  just  as  Hughie  released  a  triumphant  shout,  pulled  his  free  hand  into  his  chest  and  closed  it  into  a  fist.

The  sky  ignited.  

There  were  three  awful  seconds  of  nothingness  when  both  vessels  seemed  to  hang  by  an  invisible  thread,  then  the  wind  snapped  and  the  sky  roared  and  the  world  dropped. The  wave  surged  over  
The Corpus,  taking  them  all  with  it,  screaming  at  the  top  of  their  lungs.  Hughie  Rua  threw  his  head back and laughed  as  they  flew  down,  down,   down,  following  his  billowing  sails  into  the  sea.  

The  wind  pulled  their  cheeks  from  their  mouths  and  stole  their  breath,  their  stomachs  flip  ping  upside  down  and  inside  out  as  they  cut  through  the  air. Their  screams  ran  their  voices  hoarse  before  they  hit  the  water.

Then  they  left  the  world  behind  them,  piercing  the  skin  of  the  ocean  in  two  identical points.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment