Friday 5 October 2018

Review: Bah! Humbug!

Bah! Humbug! Bah! Humbug! by Michael Rosen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A perfect Christmas story, cleverly entwining lines from A Christmas Carol into a new story, echoing the message contained in it. A child might need to know the story already - I suggest A Muppet Christmas Carol, still the best version ever - in order to get the nuances, and there's a reveal about the main character's sister that's slightly hidden until about halfway through, but overall it's a fantastic read for any time of year. Perfect.

(I was slightly unsure how old everyone was, which is not a huge concern but worth noting; I'm not even sure which sibling is older, not that it matters to the story. They're something between eight and eighteen, anyway.)


Eva thought of how angry Harry had got when a spot appeared on his face.

"It's just a spot," she had said to him.

"I hate it, I hate it, I hate it," he had shouted at the mirror.

"Maybe shouting at it will scare it away," Eva had said, which, even in the midst of his rage, had made him laugh.

...

And now, in the show, Harry was making everyone laugh with his 'pimple'.

No, not Harry, she reminded herself. Scrooge. Mr Scrooge.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment