Thursday 18 October 2018

Review: Villain

Villain Villain by Michael Grant
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another breathless, gory adventure story from Michael Grant. I'm half enjoying, half terrified to keep reading this series; every time I think the stakes can't possibly get any higher, I'm proved wrong. The Battle of Las Vegas is horrifying in every sense of the word.

I'm in awe of the way Michael can sow in hints early on, throw away moments that later become very important. It takes real skill and I'm looking forward to seeing how everything pans out in a year.

I've taken a star off, though, because it's been a year since I read Monster, which had a lot of characters and a lot happening, and it took me a while to remember who everyone was and what the connections between them were. A Previously On or recap would have been very much appreciated. This was a problem with the original series too, though, so I don't expect any progress on it.

I can't wait for the next book, but I also don't want this series to be over!

Receiving an ARC did not affect my review in any way.


"I believe there's a reason for everything that happens, you know? Which means you were given this power for a reason." Saffron looked intently into his eyes. "Things like this don't just happen. This is part of some larger plan. You were meant to have this power, which means you were meant to use it."

Dillon nodded along, not quite convinced, and still half thinking he would just tell Saffron to strip off her robe and her bikini and... But his thoughts were not alone in his head; the Dark Watchers, his audience, were listening. And they were liking what they were hearing. He could sense their pleasure, their anticipation.
"Well...okay," Dillon said with a shrug. "How do we start?"
Saffron smiled. "Let's start with school and work outward."
Dillon winced. "You want me to be a superpowered Dylan Kebold? I'm not into killing people, I'm just trying to have a few laughs."
"Don't be silly, Dillon. You don't need dead bodies, you need living slaves. And, of course, one other thing."
"What?"
"A queen, Dillon," she said. "You need a queen."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment