Thursday 8 August 2019

Review: The Black Flamingo

The Black Flamingo The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Told in free verse, this heartfelt story follows Michael from birth to university as he discovers his identity and finds the people who will stand with him. Mixed in is the poetry he writes to try to understand himself and his reactions and those of the people around him. This is a lovely, quick read with beautiful illustrations. This is a story that will stay with you for a long time.

Be aware, there is a lot of discussion of sex and some drugs.



He puts his arm around me and says,
'Don't worry, you can't score every time
but you still gotta take the shot.
Respect for taking the risk, bro.
I've got a question for you: why did you
ask out the whitest boy in school?
Why not give a brother a chance?'

I laugh, through my tears. 'You're funny.'

'Yeah,' Kieran sighs, 'so are you.
I should go but if anyone gives you any trouble,
you let me know.'
He squeezes my shoulder,
walks to the door.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment