Tuesday 6 August 2019

Review: Sea Witch Rising

Sea Witch Rising Sea Witch Rising by Sarah Henning
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The politics get a bit more confusing in this follow up, which sees Evie, our Sea Witch, re-enacting the Little Mermaid by sending Alia ashore without her voice to capture the heart of her prince - the grandson of the boy Evie loved once. Alia's sister refuses to take it lying down, though, and demands to negotiate her own deal.

The fifty year gap between this story and the first one means that some things are filled in on the run, as it were. This one is also rooted in a much more modern time than I had assumed reading the first one. It could, technically, still be as early as the 1850s, but the reference to Germany wanting to cut of Britain's supplies and starve her out seems, to me, to place us in the 1940s. Which makes Havnestad seem really backwards and strange. I guess it could be an alternate world.

Apart from that niggle, though, this is a fantastic read, with lush language and a well thought out magic system. Runa is now my favourite of the heroines, and I enjoyed the ending very much. This was a one day read for me.

A wonderful duology for anyone who enjoys fantasy.



Maybe there's a chance.

Maybe he really does love Alia.

Maybe their love is enough that he'll stop this wedding farce and bring Alia up there instead, marrying her with a kiss so fierce, the magic has no choice but to be satisfied.

Maybe the only sad part of the story is that I will remain human against my will. If Alia is happy and survives, that will be enough for me.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment