Tuesday 6 August 2019

Review: Sea Witch

Sea Witch Sea Witch by Sarah Henning
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A beautiful, magical retelling of the Little Mermaid...sort of. For spoilery reasons, I can't explain, but this book is not quite what you think it is. It is a wonderful, magical - I keep saying that, but it's true - story, though.

Switching time periods can make things tricky at first, but things become clear very quickly. The language is amazing and I'm very eager to move on to the next title in the series. Hoping for a happy ending!



"Happy birthday, Cousin." Eyes laughing, Iker claps Nik on the back and brings him in for a hug, his toned arms fully encasing Nik's spindly-yet-strong form.

When they release, Iker's eyes go right to me. They're the clearest of blues - like ancient ice in the fjords of the north.

"Evelyn," he says, still retaining an air of formality from his upbringing, but he then shockingly pulls me into a hug.

I freeze, eyes on Nik as he and everyone else on the ship stares. Iker doesn't seem to notice or care and pulls me tighter, his arms wrapped around my waist. Warm from ship work, he smells of salt and limes. His shirt is freckled with water droplets, onyx on the starched gray fabric - the sea leaving her mark.

When the moment is over and he lets me go, an arm lingers across my shoulders. I try to ignore the question nagging me, the one I'm sure everyone else is asking too.
Why me? We've known each other since we were children, but he's never shown me this kind of affection before. I'm not his type. I'm not anyone's type. Yet Iker continues to act as if it's all completely normal. He turns to Nik, to the crowd, and grins that perfect smile.

"Good people of Havnestad," he says, his voice commanding yet sincere. Then the grin grows wider. "Let's give the prince a celebration so hearty, he'll never forget it."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment