Thursday 8 August 2019

Review: A Pocketful of Stars

A Pocketful of Stars A Pocketful of Stars by Aisha Bushby
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A heartbreaking story. Saiya's mother suffers a stroke just after they've had a fight. Drowning in guilt, Safiya finds that when she visits her mother, she sees fragments of her childhood. With each fragment, she unlocks more of her mother's history and her own personality.


I can't say much about this book, because it made it cry so much. But it's amazing, and beautiful, and I cheered, and everyone should definitely read it. Definitely. Just have tissues to hand.


As I walk through the map and see the ruined palace in the distance - ivy growing all over it, walls cracked - I can't help but remember the house from my dream with the silver branches. The park, too, looks similar. Except, instead of palm trees they're made of oak, and instead of a corner shop there's the Wicked Woodlands where the wizards live.

Almost an hour later and I'm just about to get most valuable player when Dad's voice floats up from the living room beneath me. 'Safiya!' he calls, his voice penetrating the bubble that my headphones have formed. 'Dinner!'

And, just like that, the spell is broken.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment