Thursday 7 February 2019

Review: Happy Girl Lucky

Happy Girl Lucky Happy Girl Lucky by Holly Smale
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A sweet, funny read and a great introduction to a new series. Hope is a fantastic protagonist, slightly naive but well meaning, funny and much smarter than she realizes. Her siblings were all interesting in their own ways. I'm looking forward to seeing what they get up to in future books. Roz was my favourite of the supporting cast. And I was fist pumping at a certain scene near the Hollywood sign!

Spoiler, highlight to view: [I was expecting a really dark family secret, with references to Hope forgetting something and a mention of five kids when Hope only has three siblings, but I think it must have meant the friend referred to early on.]

I can't wait to see what happens to the Valentines next.


My brother pulls the kitchen door shut behind him.
"Is everything ok?" His voice is low. "I got cornered by my agent and by the time I escaped you'd disappeared. Did something happen? I swear if someone hurt you I'll-"
Pain flickers but I push it away.
"Not even a little bit," I say brightly, kissing my brother's cheek. "Everything happened just like it was supposed to. I just had to go right then, that's all. But thank you for letting me in, Max."
"As long as you're ok." Max studies my face. "I was thinking, Po, I'm free this morning. Do you want to...go shopping or whatever? Hand out together - Little Sis and Big Bro time? I could treat you. Get you out of the house for a change?"
My phone buzzes again.
PS I literally cannot wait J xxx
"Hmm?" I smile distractedly, bouncing on my toes again. "Oh, I'm actually busy today. Sorry, Max."
Then I send
Me neither. X
And it suddenly feels like I'm a movie star, lit by my very own spotlight.
Warm and bright and seen.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment