Thursday 21 February 2019

Review: Watch Us Rise

Watch Us Rise Watch Us Rise by Renée Watson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A fantastic addition to this growing genre. It took me several chapters to remember which of our POV characters was which, but that's a common problem for me. I really enjoyed the story and it kept me thinking after I'd read it, which is always a good sign! I also liked that the authors didn't demonise anyone; the principal should have listened to the girls, but he was doing his job otherwise, the teachers were mostly nice, and even (view spoiler) This is going to go well, I think.

Receiving an ARC did not affect my review in any way.


"What happened?" I asked.
"Oh, nothing, we just pretty much got James and a few of the basketballs players to run up and down the bleachers while doing their sprints and drop statements in all the seats. It looks like it's been raining women's rights in the gym," Nadine says, clearly proud of herself.
"At one point, Namel was throwing up statements like it was cash money," Isaac says, smiling at us.
"And he also might have been singing some of the statements," Nadine finishes, and as if on cue, Namel and James walk down the hallway, Namel singing, "I resolve to raise my hand more. I resolve to answer questions more in algebra. I resolve to use my voice." He enters a falsetto on the last note, and we all start laughing. I see him tucking one of the statements into his pocket.
"What's that one say?" I ask, hanging back as they all continue down the hall practising their new songs.
"Ah, nothing. I just liked it." He hands it to me. It says:
I resolve to ask for what I want. My voice should be valued and heard.
"Why do you like it?" I ask.
"I guess I'm just curious. What do you want?"


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment