Thursday 7 February 2019

Review: The Star-spun Web

The Star-spun Web The Star-spun Web by Sinéad O'Hart
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sinéad hits it out of the park with her second novel, a tale of world slipping, spiders – *a* spider, at least – and children who might be each other. Trust me, it all makes sense when you read it. And you definitely should read this one. Children will love it, and it introduces its central conceits very gently. They'll be learning as they read!

I'm very much looking forward to having this one in my hands, so that I can shove it into other peoples' hands.


Receiving an ARC did not affect my review in any way.


"They'd never leave me without saying anything, they'd never just go and not try to let me know they were all right. They'd never just forget me."

After a few minutes he lifted his face and sniffed, the ache in his chest so painful it felt like the air he was breathing had claws. "But Tess has proved one thing. Mum and Dad were right all this time. They
knew this was possible, what Tess and me are doing." Moose turned, scampering up his sleeve until he came to rest on Thomas's shoulder. "I'll make sure their names aren't a laughing stock anymore. Whatever Tess needs, I'm going to help her - and then together we can figure out how to prove my parents were the best scientists the world has ever known."

He reached into his shirt pocket and took out a few crumbs of cheese. Moose crawled on to his outstretched palm to nibble them and Thomas felt his heart slow and the pain in his chest gradually lessen. "You were the best present they ever gave me," he whispered, running a gentle finger down Moose's back. The mouse responded by putting one tiny paw on Thomas's thumb and the boy smiled.

Finally Thomas blew out the candle and they lay down to sleep. High above the heads of the boy and his mouse, dashed across the face of the clear night sky, a web of stars was sparkling; in another world, in which the stars had been scattered in a different configuration across the heavens, a girl and her spider were dreaming of them.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment