Tuesday 19 June 2018

Review: Floored

Floored Floored by Sara Barnard
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It always seems to happen that the books everyone is crazy about, I find fine but not amazing, and the books I stumble across on my own I find brilliant. This is a book everyone is crazy about. It's perfectly fine; a chance friendship that grows and deepens, becoming more important than any of the members could have imagined when it all began. But I found it just fine, not amazingly brilliant.

All the events take place on the same day each year, which means the first part of each new section is taken up with what happened in the year we've just missed. There's very little time to get used to the status quo before it shifts again. It's hard to connect to anyone in that short a time. And I personally found it hard to remember which character was which; Hugo and Dawson were ok, and after a while I got Kait, but the others just seemed to blur. It was hard to remember who was crushing on whom in which section.

I don't want to put anyone off; this is a perfectly fine teenage romantic novel, and I'm sure other people will really enjoy it. I liked Hugo's storyline, and the overall plot was good. There's nothing wrong with it at all. I think my expectations were just that little bit too high.


Receiving an ARC did not affect my review in any way.


I wait until David has staggered off, shaking his head in confusion, and then I can't control my giggles for a moment longer. I laugh so hard, my eyeliner really does run this time. All over my face, and I don't care.
I'm not laughing because it's particularly funny, or laughing at putting David on the spot like that, even though he really did deserve it. I'm laughing because...well, who knew it was so easy? To stand up for myself; to not be silenced; to tell my own story how I want to tell it. It's about power. Hugo realised he needed to start using his for good. I'm only just realising that I actually have some.
It's about time.
'Velvet,' Hugo says with a huge grin, 'you are bloody magnificent.'


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment