Thursday 14 June 2018

Review: The Light Between Worlds

The Light Between Worlds The Light Between Worlds by Laura E. Weymouth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A sweet little story, not quite what I was expecting but still beautiful in its way. Perhaps deliberately, it evokes the most famous portal story of them all, and the comparisons are good. This story stands up to CS Lewis, and that's a high bar to reach.

There were a couple of things that threw me - Ev talks about being crowded in her brother's car because of her luggage, then later in the same holiday explains how she has barely any luggage because most of it's still at school; Philippa tells Jack "No one bothers with Philippa, they call me Philippa." Apart from those, though, it's a lovely meditation on love and lose and home, wherever that may be. A fantastic read.

(It is a little strange that Jamie isn't mentioned in any of the promo material, though!)

Receiving an ARC did not affect my review in any way.


Philippa takes a step away. She's quiet for a while before answering, and when she speaks, her voice is colorless. "Even if you can't promise to keep Evie safe, I did.So I suppose it'll be up to me as always, to look after her and to get her home. If that means helping to hold off your war until you're ready, then so be it."
Cervus rests his head on her shoulder, and at last she turns, throwing her arms around his neck, and burying her face in that ruff of rust-red fur. I creep away, knowing she's said things she won't want me to overhear.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment